How Are Children’s Medical Expenses Divided We'll Guide You Through Every Step

How Are Children’s Medical Expenses Divided?

If you have children and get divorced or if you have parental responsibilities or a custody case, one of the issues that arises is who will pay for the children’s medical expenses moving forward. The statues in the state of Colorado specifically addresses this issue. The statute says that any extraordinary medical expenses will be divided in proportion to the incomes of the parties. If one party earns 75% of the total income and the other party earns 25% of the total income, then the higher earning party will pay 75% of those medical expenses and the lower earning party will pay 25% of those medical expenses.

However, the statute says “extraordinary medical expenses.” It does not say all medical expenses, which can get a little bit confusing. Extraordinary medical expenses are defined as any medical expenses for the children that are not covered by insurance in excess of $250 per year, per child. The idea is that child support will cover the first $250 per year, per child of medical expenses. The party who has the majority of the parent time, the party who is receiving child support, is generally responsible for that first $250 per year in medical expenses. Then any expenses per child, per year in excess of that first $250 gets divided in proportion to the incomes of the parties.

Former Clients Share Their Stories

The Benefits of a Results-Focused Approach
  • Former Client

    Very professional and very knowledgeable attorney.

  • Jorge

    I highly recommend him.

  • Cheryl

    Absolutely Worth Hiring

  • Crystal

    Helped Keep My Kids Safe

  • Kimber

    Highly Recommend Him!

  • Sherrie

    Deserves More Than 5 Stars!

  • Maddie

    Solved my problem with one call!

  • Ric

    Superb Attorney

  • Travis

    Went Over The Top

  • Darin

    Professional and Knowledgeable

  • Former Client

    Good Guy

  • Tyler

    Does not get any better than Levi

  • Levi

    Levi gets the job done quickly, efficiently, and respectfully!

  • Former Client

    Great choice for family cases and bankruptcy law

  • Greg

    Levi is a super nice guy who knows his stuff. I highly recommend Levi.

  • Scott

    A lawyer’s lawyer

  • Lonnie

    Excellent Family Law Attorney

  • Rob

    Levi is like the special forces attorney in family law!

Benefits of Choosing Me

Efficient. Effective. Focused.
  • Personalized Service & Solutions

    Every family and person has a unique situation requiring individualized attention.

  • Direct Attorney Access

    Talk directly to and receive direct updates from Attorney Levi.

  • Focused on Results

    Our goal is to help you and your family achieve an amicable settlement.

Contact My Office

I'll Guide You Through Every Step
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.