Fort Collins Adoption Attorney
Helping Your Family Grow
Expanding your family through adoption can be a fulfilling and exciting experience. Unfortunately, it can also be a long and cumbersome legal process. Before moving forward with the adoption process, be sure to retain a trusted Fort Collins adoption attorney who can see your case through from start to finish.
I offer comprehensive counsel to individuals and families seeking to adopt a child in Colorado. I understand the complex state and federal laws that govern this process and offer 15 years of legal experience to put to work for you.
Qualifying for Adoption
To adopt a child in Colorado, you must meet a few basic requirements. Generally speaking, the state believes that it is in a child’s best interest to remain with their biological parents whenever possible. That said, every child deserves a permanent home and loving parents – and the state will facilitate this when a child cannot remain with their biological parents whenever possible.
To adopt a child, you must:
- Be at least 21 years old
- Not have been committed of a crime against children
Your marital status and home ownership status will not be considered when you apply to adopt.
Types of Adoption
Colorado recognizes several types of adoption, each with its own requirements and complexities. I have helped finalize numerous adoptions both within Colorado and internationally.
I assist clients with:
- Stepparent adoptions: This is when a stepparent formalizes their relationship with a stepchild. The stepchild’s biological parent must terminate their parental rights before the stepparent can adopt the child.
- Kinship adoptions: A kindship adoption is when a close relative – such as a grandparent, aunt, or uncle – becomes a child’s legal parent. You must have had physical custody of the child for at least one year before the adoption can proceed.
- Second parent adoptions: A parent in a same-sex relationship – even if the couple is unmarried – can become a child’s legal parent through a second parent adoption.
- Private adoptions: I help prospective adoptive parents and parents putting a baby up for adoption facilitate successful private adoptions.
- International adoptions: If you are planning to adopt a child from overseas, you will face a variety of obstacles – namely immigration-related challenges – along the way. I can help you complete all the necessary paperwork and documentation.
Turn to Levi A. Brooks, Attorney at Law
If you have made the decision to adopt a child in Fort Collins, you have a lot of excitement ahead of you. Let me manage the legal work so that you can focus on growing your family. I work hard to help adoptive parents navigate the process quickly and effectively.
Call me at (970) 293-8371 to request a free consultation.
“An amazing attorney and a human being.” - M.V.
“Very professional and very knowledgeable attorney.” - Former Client
“I highly recommend him.” - Jorge